Choosing the right electronic health record (EHR) for your medical practice is a big decision. There’s so many softwares on the market today and it can be difficult for medical practices to find one that’s the best fit for their practice.
In order to make the best decision, it’s important to ask the right questions and have an honest conversation with the vendor about their software. Where do you start? The following is a list of 20 questions medical practices should ask before making the switch. This list is a compilation of the most commonly asked questions we hear from our prospective customers.
Ask the following questions and add a few of your own based on the needs of your practice. Asking the right questions and digging deep will help you find not only an EHR vendor, but a partner who’s also committed to helping your practice be successful.
Learn about the company.
1. How many other practices use your software that our similar to my practice size and specialty?
2. Aside from EHR/PM, what other products and services can you offer my practice?
3. How do you keep my data secure?
4. Who owns the data in the system?
5. What sets you apart from other vendors?
Get to know the software.
6. Do you have an integrated practice management system?
7. What clearinghouse do you use?
8. What types of devices can I use with your software?
9. Is your software cloud-based?
10. Is your system easy to use?
11. Is your software ONC 2015 Edition certified?
12. What reports are available in your EHR?
13. How will this software help improve patient flow and operations in my practice?
14. Are there any extra costs related to the software?
Ask questions about training, implementation and support.
15. How long is the implementation process?
16. How is my data migrated into the EHR?
17. How does training work?
18. How responsive are your product development team and customer support team?
19. What are your support hours?
20. Are there costs related to set up, training, implementation or support?